|Are these really the FUN size?|
MUSINGSGuest Post by Ted Vail
Since Halloween is knocking at our door, let’s talk a little about candy, and notably, those little candies that say “Fun Size” on the wrapper. First of all, when it comes to candy, “Fun Size” means more candy not less. Apparently, someone replaced the word “skimpy” with the word “fun.” There is nothing fun about less candy.
Have you ever used this phrase: “Sometimes less is more”? There are probably situations where that is true, but I suggest one situation where it is not true: Candy! I’d like to be mindful of another phrase as it pertains to candy, “Most of the time, less is less”.
Can we sue? We could petition for truth in advertising, requesting that skimpy candy wrappers say one of the following:
- “Not as Fun Size”
- “Just Kid-ding Size”
- “We Can’t Believe You were Duped into thinking this is Fun Size”
- “Fun for Us Size" and then in small print: "Fun for us as Profiting Manufacturers to Sell Consumers Scrawnier Candy for the Same Amount of Money and Tell You it’s Fun (p.s. we got sued and have to say this)”.
- Perhaps in a win for humanity, when it comes to candy, we’re not so focused on the exterior wrapper; we actually do judge for content on this one.
- I was going to say, better health, but are we really going to put the word “health” anywhere on a candy bar?
- Umm…ok I guess there’s only one positive, but I’ll keep thinking.
Ted Vail is a longtime time friend of mine who has shared this rant with me and others many of times and I thought that it was time that it was shared with the masses.