|Biggest mistake ever at an Oscars award. (ABC)|
THE OSCARSThis year La La Land was nominated for the most Academy Awards and will be bringing home the most Oscars, but maybe not as much of a landslide as many had thought. At the end of night, La La Land almost won for Best Picture. Warren Beatty was given the wrong envelope (or something) and incorrectly announced the wrong winner. The REAL winner for Best Picture was Moonlight.
Last year, the prevailing controversy of the Academy Awards was if all races were represented or not. This year, the only controversy during the presentation had nothing to do with the movie business. President Donald Trump was mentioned over and over again, usually by host Jimmy Kimmel, but often without mentioning his name, although at one point, Kimmel tweeted Trump to see if he "was up" since the program had been airing for over two hours and the president (who is known for his tweeting) hadn't tweeted anything yet. Surprisingly though, most of the speeches given focused on the winner and the people they were thanking instead of making a political statement.
Stunts for the night included giving the guests Junior Mints, Red Vines and other treats by dropping the gifts from the ceiling with little parachutes. Later, a whole busload of tourists were tricked into thinking that they were visiting a movie set or something but instead were brought into the theater and were able to meet many of the celebrities.
Other highlights included:
- The stars of Hidden Figures brought out real-life NASA physicist Katherine Johnson on the Oscars stage.
- Charlize Theron shared how she was inspired by Shirley MacLaine's performance in The Apartment, Seth Rogan shared how he was inspired by Michael J. Fox's performance in Back to the Future and Javier Bardem shared how he was inspired by Meryl Streep's performance in The Bridges of Madison County.
- Anne V. Coates, Lynn Stalmaster and Jackie Chan were honored.
- Various stars shared their "mean tweets." (They shared the mean things that the general public have said about them on Twitter.)
- Sara Bareilles sang "Both Sides Now" for the memoriam song.
|Charlize Theron, Shirley MacLaine, Michael J. Fox, Seth Rogan, Javier Bardem and Meryl Streep.|
- BEST PICTURE: Moonlight
- ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Casey Affleck for Manchester by the Sea
- ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Emma Stone for La La Land
|Emma Stone and Casey Affleck|
- ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
- ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Viola Davis, Fences
- ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: Zootopia
- CINEMATOGRAPHY: La La Land
- COSTUME DESIGN: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- DIRECTING: La La Land
- DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE): O.J.: Made in America
- DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT): The White Helmets
- FILM EDITING: Hacksaw Ridge
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: The Salesman
- MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: Suicide Squad
- MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE): La La Land
- MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG): "City Of Stars" from La La Land
- PRODUCTION DESIGN: La La Land
- SHORT FILM (ANIMATED): Piper
- SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION): Sing
- SOUND EDITING: Arrival
- SOUND MIXING: Hacksaw Ridge
- VISUAL EFFECTS: The Jungle Book
- WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY): Moonlight
- WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY): Manchester by the Sea
|Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae honor NASA physicist||Katherine Johnson (ABC)|