|Chris Rock (ABC)|
Months of controversial talk about the lack of black nominees came to a head with host Chris Rock who took every opportunity to poke jabs on the subject. Unlike previous Oscar presentations where the host would make tease that year's nominees, Rock ribbed Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith for not attending the ceremony because of the lack of diversity. Rock offered biting commentary throughout the night, but it never felt "too much" and by having him do all the teasing allowed the presenters and the award recipients to concentrate on the actual movies up for awards.
Again, it was no shocker that Leonardo DiCaprio won the Best Actor award for The Revenant nor that Inside Out won for Best Animated Film and that Spotlight won for best picture. However it was a bit of a surprise (but totally deserving if you seen the film) that Mark Rylance won the award for Supporting Actor for Bridge of Spies. Brie Larson won the Best Actress award for Room and Alicia Vikander for Supporting Actress for The Danish Girl. Sadly, Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't win any of the five awards it was up for.
Highlights of the night included Lady Gaga's performance of the nominee for Best Original Song, "Til It Happens to You" from the documentary "The Hunting Ground," which deals with sexual assault on college campuses. The performance ended with a large group of survivors of rape with messages of hope written on their wrists in permanent ink.
Chris Rock also took advantage of the night for his kids to sell more Girl Scout cookies to the crowd.
|(Left) Jonas Rivera and Pete Docter, (Right) Leonardo DiCaprio|
|(Left) Mark Rylance, (Right) Rachel McAdams|
- Best Picture: Spotlight
- Actor in a Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Actress in a Leading Role: Brie Larson, Room
- Actor in a Supporting Role: Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
- Actress in a Supporting Role: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
- Animated Feature Film: Inside Out
- Cinematography: The Revenant
- Costume Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Directing: The Revenant
- Documentary (Feature): Amy
- Documentary (Short Subject): A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
- Film Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Music (Original Score): The Hateful Eight
- Music (Original Song): “Writing’s on the Wall” from Spectre
- Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Short Film (Animated): Bear Story
- Short Film (Live Action): Stutterer
- Sound Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Visual Effects: Ex Machina
- Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Room
- Writing (Original Screenplay): Spotlight
The cast of Spotlight