No mother is the perfect, but television has tried to portray the perfect mom over the years. Here is a quiz of 10 of the “best” moms on TV over the years and 5 others who could use a little work. See if you can figure out which one is which by the descriptions alone, then see the photos below to check your answers.
- This mom could be considered a true Proverbs 31 Woman. She is not only faithful to her husband and children, but is valuable member of her small society. Her family has little money, so she makes the most of what she has. In addition to making sure that her family all attend church on Sundays, she frequently looks to the Lord for guidance on how to handle difficult situations and people like the nosy neighbor down the street.
- This unbelievably sickening sweet mother keeps up a pristine house and is always seen in a dress and pearl necklace. She spends a great deal worrying about her youngest and is picky about good manners and grooming. One thing is for sure, she always stands by her man.
- This mom has never gotten over the fact that her lovely daughter, married a mere mortal. She clashes violently against her son-in-law and is constantly meddling with their marriage. She doesn’t respect the choices of her daughter or son-in-law and spoils her grandchildren behind their backs. This red head is one hot head.
- Spooky yet elegant, this mom cares for her elderly father and has taken in her “plain-looking” niece. She plays peacekeeper between her husband and her father, fights for what is right and tries to be a good neighbor despite not understanding how others perceive her. She enjoys being a mother and wife, but isn’t afraid to try things outside of the home as well. Her husband would be lost without her.
- This long-suffering wife is seen as godly knowing what she has to put up with. Unlike other TV moms, she has a strong faith that her husband ignores. She is kind and gentle to a fault which allows others to take advantage of her. She’s not the smartest mom on the tube, but her heart is in the right place.
- This mom is a train wreck of a mother and wife. She is lazy, doesn’t ever consider getting a job, wears inappropriate clothing, and isn’t respected by her children or her husband. Perhaps her only virtues are that she loves her children and would never cheat on her husband.
- This woman can be thought of as the “What does she do” mom. Her maid does most of the household chores, which allows her time for all those heart-to-heart talks with her daughters and stepsons. She rarely, if ever, has a temper.
- This professional mom who is one of the rare moms to “have it all.” She had loving children, a respectful husband, a good-paying job and a beautiful home. In addition, she never allows any sassiness from any of her children and despite her financial position, never spoiled them.
- This mom is so focused on herself that she rarely sees the needs of others. She spoils her daughter giving her everything she ever wants. She doesn’t respect her husband and he doesn’t trust her. Though she attends church like her neighbors, she frequently thinks her ideas are better than God’s.
- This mom is the ultimate single mom by putting her family’s needs above her own. Who else would purchase an old school bus and take her family out on a trip? Though her choice of allowing her children to play in bars is questionable, she always has an eye on her children, and even joined in on the act.
- Wife, mother and homemaker, this mother is everybody’s mom. While generally sweet, she never hesitates to stand up for what is right and help out one of her children’s friends when needed. She’s the only one whom one friend allows her to call him by his real first name, Arthur, and has adopted him as one of her own.
- Like another mother in this list, this one doesn’t respect the wishes of her sons and her daughter-in-law. While she does love her family, she favors one son over the other. While she remains faithful to her husband, she doesn’t respect him much. As if living across the street wasn’t enough, she can’t help herself to not interfere in her family’s lives constantly.
- This mother is no pushover. She will not take any crap from her children. (Case in point, when her children stripped down to play in a neighbor’s pool during a funeral reception, she marched right in, with high heels and black dress and yanked them out immediately.) Unfortunately she relies too much on her own insight and would do well to trust in a higher power.
- This mom is probably the most realistic mom on TV. She is an imperfect mom with huge heart. She wants to be the best at everything she does, but usually has to settle for second best. She spends endless amount of time trying to be a great mom and instill spiritual values, if it doesn’t take too much of her time. During the day, she sells cars. During the night, she’s Supermom, sort of.
- Blonde and beautiful, this mom appears as the perfect trophy wife of a cheating husband. She keeps up an impeccable household, but it is lifeless as much as she is. She is very unhappy, doesn’t enjoy being around her children and selfishly looks for happiness only for herself.
2. Mrs. June Cleaver – “Leave it to Beaver” – Barbara Billingsley (1954-1963) Score: Good Mom!
|15. Mrs. Betty Drapre – “Mad Men” – January Jones (2007-current) Score: Bad Mom! |
7. Mrs. Carol Brady – “The Brady Bunch” – Florence Henderson (1969-1974) Score: Good Mom!
1. Mrs. Caroline Ingalss – “Little House on the Prairie” - Karen Grassle (1974–1982)
Score: Good Mom!
Ed Friendly Productions
8. Mrs. Claire Huxtable – “The Cosby Show” – Phylicia Rashad (1984-1992) Score: Good Mom!
Bill Cosby/Casey-Werner Co.
5. Mrs. Edith Bunker – “All in the Family” – Jean Stapleton (1971-1979) Score: Good Mom!
Bud Yorkin Productions
3. Endora – “Bewitched” – Agnes Moorehead (1964-1972) Score: Bad Mom!
14. Mrs. Frankie Heck – “The Middle” – Patricia Heaton (2009-current) Score: Good Mom!
Blackie and Blondie Productions
9. Mrs. Harriet Oleson – “Little House on the Prairie” – Katherine MacGregor (1974-1983)
Score: Bad Mom!
Ed Friendly Productions
4. Mrs. Lily Munster – “The Munsters” - Yvonne De Carlo (1964-1966) Score: Good Mom!
13. Mrs. Lynnette Scavo – “Desperate Housewives” - Felicity Huffman (2004-2012) Score: Good Mom!
Cherry Alley Productions
12. Mrs. Marie Barone – “Everybody Loves Raymond” - Doris Roberts (1996-2005) Score: Bad Mom!
Columbia Broadcasting System
11. Mrs. Marion Cunningham (Mrs. C) – “Happy Days” – Marion Ross (1974-1984) Score: Good Mom!
6. Mrs. Peggy Bundy Katey Sagal – “Married with Children” - (1987-1997) Score: Bad Mom!
10. Ms. Shirley Partridge – “The Partridge Family”- Shirley Jones (1970-1974) Score: Good Mom!
Screen Gems Television